What is CDPAP?

The Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP) is a New York State Medicaid program that allows individuals to recruit, hire, and direct their own home care workers. The program gives individuals the freedom to hire the home care personal assistants of their choice.  Personal assistants may be family members and friends. The program includes care for seniors, pediatrics, chronically ill and disabled individuals.

What are the requirements to be eligible for CDPAP?

Individuals must be eligible for Medicaid, require assistance with activities of daily living or skilled care, have a stable medical condition, and be self -directing or have a designated representative that is willing and able to direct care as per the program’s requirements.

Who can provide care under CDPAP? May family members serve as the personal assistants?

Most people, including children over the age of 18, can serve as personal assistants and get paid to provide care under CDPAP. Spouses may not provide care under CDPAP. You can select friends, relatives, siblings, neighbors or previously hired aides.  Community Care can provide recruitment assistance if needed.

Do personal assistants need a special license or certification to provide care under CDPAP?

Your personal assistants do not need a special license or certification to provide care under the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program.

What kind of services are personal assistants able to administer under CDPAP?

Under CDPAP, personal assistants are able to perform home health aide tasks such as dressing, toileting, walking, bathing and feeding.  A special benefit of CDPAP is that personal assistants can perform skilled nursing tasks such as administering oxygen, insulin injections, and suctioning tracheostomies.

How do I enroll in CDPAP?

Contact a Community Care representative at 631-328-7600, and one of our caring and knowledgeable representatives will help you with the application process.  Once you are approved, you can begin to interview potential Personal Assistants. After the individual you select has completed an enrollment package and passed a medical exam, you will be able to train and employ him or her as your personal assistant.  If you are not already on Medicaid, our specialists will help you determine if you are eligible for Medicaid and, if you are, assist you with the Medicaid application process.

How would my Personal Assistants be compensated?

Community Care will reimburse your personal assistants for the care provided.  We are enrolled as a New York State Medicaid provider and work with the Social Services District and managed care providers for the provision of CDPAP services.  We process the weekly payroll and offer a competitive salary for your personal assistants.

Can parents of disabled children serve as the CDPAP assistants?

Adult disabled children who are over the age of 21 may have a parent receive reimbursement and work as their personal assistant providing that the parent is not the adult child’s designated representative.*

Children who are under the age of 21 cannot have a parent serve as their personal assistant.

*A designated representative is a person who agrees to accept all of the responsibilities for a consumer who either wants additional help running his/her CDPAP program or cannot assume the responsibilities needed to do so.

Are children in the Care at Home Program eligible for CDPAP?


Are participants receiving Residential Habilitation or Day Habilitation (waiver services) also eligible to receive CDPAP?

Individuals who receive Residential Habilitation or Day Habilitation services through the OPWDD Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) waiver program may participate in the CDPAP only during those hours of the day in which they are not receiving either of these waiver services.

Are participants receiving Self Direction – Individual Supports and Services (ISS), also eligible to receive CDPAP?

Individuals who receive Self Direction –  Individual Supports and Services (ISS), may participate in the CDPAP only during those hours of the day in which they are not receiving either of these  services.

How do I become a Personal Assistant?

To become a Community Care Personal Assistant you must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age.
  • Be legally eligible to work in the United States.
  • Have a current physical, PPD, and proof of immunizations.
  • Complete all required documents with the assistance and direction of the Consumer.
  • Complete an annual health assessment including all locally required laboratory tests.

We can refer you to a physician if needed.


To learn more about the program, contact Community Care at (631) 328 7600 and we will help you every step of the way.  We will walk you through the process and take care of the paperwork for you, and answer any questions you may have.