We’ve created a FREE Educational Guide to help navigate these services for you and your family.
Welcome to Community Care’s CDPAP Program
The Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP) is a New York State Medicaid Program that promotes your independence by allowing you to recruit, hire and direct your own home care personal assistants. Under the program, the personal assistants are eligible to receive Medicaid reimbursement for their service. This program includes care for seniors, children, and chronically ill or disabled adults.
In order to be eligible for CDPAP services, you must…
- Be eligible for Medicaid Long Term Care, Home Care, Certified Home Health Care Agency Services, Aids Home Care, or Personal Care Services.
- Be self-directing or have a designated representative willing to make decisions about the care being provided.
- Have a stable medical condition.
- Need some or total assistance with personal care tasks, home health aide tasks, or skilled nursing tasks.
Who can work for you
You may hire almost anyone you want to provide care for you or a loved one such as friends, relatives, siblings, trusted neighbors or previously hired aides. Your chosen personal assistants do not require any special certification, and can perform home health aide tasks such as dressing, toileting, walking, bathing, and feeding. Additionally, a special benefit of CDPAP is that your personal assistants can also perform skilled nursing tasks such as administering oxygen, insulin injections, and suctioning tracheostomies.
If you do not have anyone to work for you we will help you recruit a caregiver.
Persons that may not be hired as personal assistants are
- Parents of children who are under the age of 21.
- Your spouse or designated representative.*
- The parent of an adult child (21 years of age or older) may serve as that adult child’s CDPAP assistant if they are not also the recipient’s designated representative and with restrictions as to whether or not they may live with the consumer.**
*A designated representative is a person who agrees to accept all of the responsibilities for a consumer who either wants additional help running his/her CDPAP program or cannot assume the responsibilities needed to do so.
** A personal assistant may include an adult relative who lives with the consumer because the amount of care required makes such relative’s presence necessary.
Leave the burden of financial compensation for your caretaker to us…
So you can have the freedom to live better and concentrate on what’s important; your health and happiness.
Community Care will reimburse your personal assistants for the care provided. We are enrolled as a New York State Medicaid provider and work with the Social Services District and Managed Care Plans for the provision of CDPAP services.
Our responsibilities include
- Processing each personal assistant’s wages and benefits, attest to the accuracy of each time record, and distribute paychecks in a timely manner.
- Maintaining personnel records and ensuring the health status of each personal assistant is assessed pursuant to New York State regulations.
- Monitoring the consumer’s or the consumer’s designated representative’s ability to fulfill the responsibilities under the program.